New Midwife-Led Birth Centre Set to Open in Ottawa
Ontario Offering Ottawa Area Mothers More Childbirth Options
Women in Ottawa will soon have more choice on where to give birth with the new Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre set to begin welcoming patients this October.
The midwife-led birth centre will offer services in both official languages and assist with up to 450 births a year. It will offer women in the Ottawa region the option of giving birth in a comfortable, home-like setting, while helping free hospital beds to focus on high-risk births.
Giving expectant moms and their families more childbirth options is part of the Ontario government's plan to invest in people, one of the three pillars of the government's economic plan for jobs and growth.
- Midwives are registered health care professionals who care for women with low-risk pregnancies. There are over 660 registered midwives in Ontario.
- Midwifery care leads to fewer medical and surgical interventions which benefit mothers and babies and provides better value to the health care system.
- About 142,000 babies are born in Ontario every year and up to 22,000 are delivered by midwives – up from 8,000 in 2003.
- A proven, safe and cost-effective alternative to hospital births, birth centres play an important role in health systems around the world, including the United Kingdom, Australia and the United States.
- Ontario recently included Severe Combined Immune Deficiency Syndrome to the list of 29 inherited, treatable diseases that every newborn is screened for, at no cost to parents.
“We want expectant mothers to have access to the maternity care that makes the most sense for them. With fewer medical and surgical interventions, midwife-led birth centres are a proven high-quality alternative to hospital deliveries and meet the goals of our Action Plan for Health Care by offering more services in the community, closer to home.”
“The opening of the Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre is great news for the people of Ottawa South. It means that upwards of 450 expectant mothers every year will be able to welcome their newborns as close to home as possible. This is yet another one of the ways our government is working to make health care services even more accessible.”
“We are so excited for the opportunity to offer this choice to women and families in our region. The Ottawa Birth and Wellness Centre will facilitate women's ability to give birth naturally and expand our capacity as midwives to support them.”