Improving Access to Health Care Services in York Region
Markham Stouffville Hospital Expansion Now Complete
Ontario is improving access to health care services for residents in York Region with the newly completed expansion and redevelopment of Markham Stouffville Hospital.
The province worked with Markham Stouffville Hospital to manage the redevelopment project, which saw the size of the hospital more than double to include a new four-storey, 385,000 square foot addition and the renovation of the original hospital building.
Key features of the expansion include:
- An improved and expanded ambulatory clinic that will see up to 50,000 more visits per year.
- 100 new inpatient beds.
- Eight new operating rooms that are designed for minimal invasive surgery with state of the art equipment.
- An expanded diagnostic imaging department. The department received an additional MRI and CT scanner and will accommodate 25,000 more visits per year.
Investing in hospital infrastructure supports Ontario's Action Plan for Health Care by ensuring that patients get the right care, at the right time, in the right place. It is also part of the government's plan to invest in people, build modern infrastructure and support a dynamic business climate.
- Ontario committed up to $292 million to support the redevelopment project.
- Markham Stouffville Hospital welcomes over 3,000 babies every year.
- The expanded hospital is expected to employ an additional 875 staff and attract 60 new physicians to the area.
- Markham Stouffville Hospital was originally constructed to serve a population of about 110,000 and at present is serving almost 400,000 people.
- Ontario’s Action Plan for Health Care
- Building Together, Ontario’s long-term infrastructure plan
- Markham Stouffville Hospital Celebrates Completion of New Wing
“I am pleased that the redevelopment of Markham Stouffville Hospital was delivered on time and on budget. Most importantly however is that the residents of York Region will have access to even more high quality care in their community. Making sure that people across Ontario have access to the right care, at the right time, and in the right place is top priority for me and for our government.”
“This is an exciting milestone – the culmination of outstanding leadership, teamwork and community support. With the completion of this project, the dedicated professionals at Markham Stouffville Hospital are now better equipped with a state-of-the-art facility to continue delivering high quality care, close to home, for the people of York Region.”
“The partnership between the hospital, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Infrastructure Ontario, and our community and corporate supporters resulted in a successful project that was completed on-time and on-budget. Our community now has even greater access to programs and services at our hospital and can receive care close to home. This is truly a great legacy for the people of Markham, Stouffville and Uxbridge.”