Ontario Appoints New Chief Health Innovation Strategist
William Charnetski to Champion Ontario’s Health Technology Innovation Sector
Ontario has selected William Charnetski as the province's new Chief Health Innovation Strategist.
Charnetski is an accomplished national and global executive with over a decade of experience in developing integrated health solutions in Canada and around the world in the global pharmaceutical industry.
This appointment is one of the key recommendations of the Ontario Health Innovation Council's (OHIC) report to champion Ontario as a leading centre not only for new and innovative health technology, but also for bringing that technology to market both here in Ontario and around the world.
The province is moving forward on all six of the council's recommendations, which include:
- Establishing a new $20-million Health Technology Innovation Evaluation Fund to support made-in-Ontario technologies
- Using newly created Innovation Broker positions to connect innovators and researchers with opportunities in the health care system
- Streamlining the adoption of health care innovations across the health system
- Shifting to procurement practices that focus on outcomes, such as fewer hospital readmissions and the long-term value of medical devices
- Investing in the assessment of emerging innovative health technologies to get those products to market faster.
Investing in Ontario's health technology innovations is part of the government's plan to build a better Ontario through its Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care, which is providing patients with faster access to the right care, better home and community care, the information they need to stay healthy and a health care system that's sustainable for generations to come.
- OHIC delivered its report, The Catalyst, to the government in late 2014.
- Ontario is the third-largest hub for biotech and the fourth-largest biomedical research centre in North America.
- Ontario’s medical devices sector employs more than 17,000 people in 900 manufacturing firms, accounting for 49 per cent of total Canadian medical devices employment.
- Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care
- The Catalyst report
- Ontario Network of Entrepreneurs health partners that includes MaRS Excellence in Clinical Innovation and Technology Evaluation, Ontario Centres of Excellence and the Health Technology Exchange.
“As Ontario’s Chief Health Innovation Strategist, Mr. Charnetski will help new innovative technologies gain a foothold in our health care system, improving outcomes for patients and helping our system work more efficiently. An important part of his work will be helping made-in-Ontario innovators demonstrate the effectiveness of their products and their potential to improve patient care. That serves us well here in Ontario but will also help Ontario companies access global markets, creating even more jobs here at home. It’s good for our health care system, good for Ontario patients, and good for our economy.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“Innovation in health technology represents a tremendous opportunity for Ontario. The Chief Health Innovation Strategist will steer Ontario towards a stronger health innovation ecosystem where collaboration with government, industry, clinicians and patients across the province will transform patient care while building the economy of tomorrow.”
“Our government is committed to applying new and innovative procurement strategies in order to deliver even better patient outcomes to Ontarians. Today's appointment of the Chief Health Innovation Strategist is an important step forward in our efforts to ignite the market for innovative health technology here in Ontario.”
“Innovation and commercialization are keys to both growing our economy and creating a more sustainable health care system. I am looking forward to working with innovators, entrepreneurs and health care providers to find new collaborative solutions to provide better, faster care for patients and help create jobs for Ontarians.”
“The appointment of the Chief Health Innovation Strategist is a big step forward for the government’s commitment to adopt our council recommendations. He will play a pivotal role in connecting innovators and entrepreneurs to our health care system, helping people to manage their wellness and interact with clinicians in more effective ways.”
Dr. Dave Williams