Ontario Takes Next Steps Toward New Hospital In Centre Wellington Region
Request for Proposals Issued for Groves Memorial Community Hospital Project
Ontario is moving forward to improve access to hospital services for patients in the Fergus community with the release of a request for proposals to prequalified companies to build and finance the new Groves Memorial Community Hospital project.
Through this project, patients in Fergus and the surrounding communities will benefit from:
- A new hospital with more space for emergency, ambulatory, diagnostic and inpatient services to accommodate Fergus' growing community
- More private inpatient rooms with showers and large windows
- Modernized infection control measures, including additional isolation facilities to enhance the hospital's ability to respond to a pandemic or disease outbreak
- Up-to-date technology and clinical resources for physicians and staff
- A new on-site helipad to allow for faster access to patient transfers by air ambulance
The three shortlisted teams invited to bid on the new hospital project are GMCH Partnership, EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare
, and PCL Constructors Canada. The teams were selected following a request for qualifications process that began in September 2015. The winning group is expected to be announced in the summer of 2017, with construction scheduled to follow soon after then.
Ontario is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years, which is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, the province announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.
Improving access to health care closer to home is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- Across the province, approximately 35 major hospital projects are under construction or in various stages of planning.
- The new Groves Memorial Community Hospital is expected to be completed in 2019.
- This project is being delivered using Infrastructure Ontario’s Alternative Financing and Procurement model, an innovative way to finance and procure large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- Funding for health capital projects has increased from $350 million in 2003-04 to almost $1.2 billion in 2015-16.
“Our government is committed to the expansion and redevelopment of the Groves Memorial Community Hospital. This project will result in expanded state-of-the-art programs and services that will provide better access for the residents of Centre Wellington and the surrounding communities.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“We are committed to delivering a state-of-the-art hospital that will improve the patient experience and provide more seamless care for our residents in conjunction with our health care partners. Our staff, physicians and volunteers look forward to evaluating the design from each of the three proponents. Our community and donors are looking forward to seeing the completion of this next phase and moving on to breaking ground.”
“Infrastructure Ontario is proud to be working with Groves Memorial Community Hospital. This announcement is a significant milestone in the process to select a team to deliver this project.”