New State-of-the-Art Hospital Now Open in Kingston
Ontario Improving Access to Care for People in Kingston Area
Providence Care Hospital is now providing faster access to care, closer to home, for people in the Kingston area.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, was joined today by Sophie Kiwala, MPP for Kingston and the Islands, as well as staff at Providence Care Hospital to celebrate the opening of the new facility, which has been built to meet the changing needs of the community now and into the future.
Providence Care Hospital is one of the first hospitals in North America to fully integrate long-term specialized mental health care with physical rehabilitation, complex care and palliative care in one building. All patients, no matter their diagnosis, have access to the same therapy spaces, recovery services and private inpatient rooms.
The new Providence Care Hospital has 270 private inpatient rooms and features:
- Nine inpatient units, including complex care, rehabilitation, palliative care and specialized mental health
- Modern therapy, rehabilitation and clinic spaces for inpatients and outpatients
- Improved teaching, learning and research space.
Patients, families and staff have been highly involved in the design of Providence Care Hospital, helping to create an environment that recognizes the physical, mental, social and spiritual needs of each person.
Ontario is increasing access to care, reducing wait times, and improving the patient experience through its Patients First Action Plan for Health Care and OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare - protecting health care today and into the future.
- The government’s investment of more than $190 billion over the 13-year period starting in 2014–15 is the largest infrastructure investment in the province’s history. It is helping to build new child care spaces, schools, hospitals, public transit, highways and roads.
- Ontario is investing up to $770 million in the approximately 622,000-square-foot Providence Care Hospital Project, intended to serve eastern Ontario.
- The Providence Care Hospital Project is Kingston’s largest infrastructure project to date, and will consolidate services and programs previously offered at Providence Care’s St. Mary’s of the Lake Hospital and Mental Health Services sites.
- The Providence Care Hospital Project incorporates sustainable design and construction features with the goal of achieving Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification. LEED buildings focus on healthy indoor environments, reduced greenhouse gas emissions and efficient use of energy, water and other resources.
- Ontario has also invested $2.5 million to support early planning for future potential capital investments at the Kingston Health Sciences Centre — Kingston General Hospital Site.
“The new Providence Care Hospital is not only patient and family-centred, it’s also a great place for students to learn and for employees to work. With its integration of long-term mental health care with other hospital programs, Providence Care Hospital is an example of how we are transforming our mental health and addictions system, showing how we can reduce the stigma around mental illness by treating it like any other chronic disease”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“The new Providence Care Hospital is a one-of-a-kind health care centre: it is the first publicly funded hospital in North America to fully integrate long-term mental health, psychiatry programs, physical rehabilitation, as well as palliative and complex care. The team at Providence Care has shared with me heartwarming stories of patient interaction and the positive relationships that are emerging in this beautiful, state-of-the-art setting. There is no doubt that this integration of patient populations will have an impact on reducing stigma for mental health patients.”
“We are thrilled to have helped deliver this new facility on time and on budget. It’s another achievement for public-private partnerships in Ontario”
“We are proud to have opened the doors to Providence Care Hospital — the first hospital in North America to accommodate long-term, specialized inpatient mental health care in the same building as complex care and rehabilitation. The physical environment is an important component of the overall quality of care experienced by our patients and clients. We are grateful for the investment in infrastructure for Providence Care Hospital so that we can continue to provide high-quality health care in the safest possible environment. Within the walls of Providence Care Hospital we continue to enhance the quality of life for some of the region’s most vulnerable populations in spaces that are safe, healthy and comfortable.”