Ontario Supporting High-Quality Addiction Support in Sarnia Area
Planning Grant to Support New Addictions Facility
Ontario is providing Bluewater Health with a grant to plan for a new facillity that would provide faster and closer access to mental health and addictions services for people in Sarnia-Lambton and the surrounding area.
The province's investment will support Bluewater Health in finalizing plans to build a new facility for its Integrated Withdrawal Management program, which would provide:
- An accessible community addictions hub for clients and families seeking information, assessments, withdrawal management services and treatments within a convenient, non-medical setting
- A 24-bed residential withdrawal management services program with three levels of care - observation, treatment and stabilization
- An Addictions Therapist for therapeutic interventions
- Dedicated space for community partners to offer additional services to clients.
Ontario is increasing access to care, reducing wait times, and improving the patient experience through its Patients First Action Plan for Health Care and OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare - protecting health care today and into the future.
- Planning grants help Ontario’s health care system respond to the needs of a growing population and provide funding for early planning stages of infrastructure projects.
- Ontario is making the largest investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history – more than $190 billion in public infrastructure over 13 years, starting in 2014–15. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON .
- Since releasing Ontario's Strategy to Prevent Opioid Addiction and Overdose in October 2016, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care has been undertaking extensive consultations to determine what additional government action is needed across the province.
- Ontario is developing a new structured psychotherapy program that will provide evidence-based therapies, including cognitive behavioural therapy, to thousands of people online or in groups.
- Ontario is providing Bluewater Health with a planning grant of $200,000 to develop the proposal for this new facility.
- Bluewater Health has been providing health care services to the residents of the Sarnia-Lambton region for over a century.
- The latest on Ontario’s Strategy to Prevent Opioid Addiction and Overdose
- Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care
- Building Together, Ontario’s long-term infrastructure plan
- Bluewater Health
“The province is committed to providing mental health and addiction services to urgently address the opioid crisis. With this planning grant, Bluewater Health is able to continue its work to plan for infrastructure improvements which will connect patients with high quality, holistic care.”
“Addressing mental health and addiction challenges within our region is very important to the ESC LHIN and to our residents. Challenges with opioids, alcohol and other substances are significant in the Sarnia-Lambton area, and we seek to increase access to care and treatment for our residents. This planning grant assists with the detailed planning for this critical initiative.”
“Today’s announcement is a significant milestone for the residents of Sarnia-Lambton. We are one step closer to making our Residential Withdrawal Management program a reality and this is great news for our community. Getting the ‘green light’ for the next phase is fabulous news.””