New, State-of-the-Art Hospital Coming to Wellington County
Province Investing in Quality Health Care to Address Growing Needs of the Community
Patients and families in Wellington County will soon have better access to health care with the construction of a new, modern hospital in Aboyne, Ontario.
Liz Sandals, MPP for Guelph, on behalf of Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, was at Groves Memorial Community Hospital today to mark the start of construction on the new hospital.
The new Groves Memorial Community Hospital will replace the existing hospital in Fergus, and will accommodate the health care needs of the growing region by providing:
- More space for emergency, ambulatory, diagnostic and inpatient services
- More private, single-patient rooms and rooms with private washrooms and showers
- Modernized infection control measures, including additional isolation facilities to respond to potential pandemic or disease outbreak
- An onsite helipad to allow fast access for patient transfers by air ambulance.
Ontario is increasing access to care, reducing wait times and improving the patient experience through its Patients First Action Plan for Health Care and OHIP+: Children and Youth Pharmacare - protecting health care today and into the future.
- Ontario is investing up to $144 million in the Groves Memorial Community Hospital project. Construction is expected to be completed in spring 2020.
- Groves Memorial Community Hospital currently serves a local and regional population of over 34,500, and provides over 68,000 patient services annually.
- Ontario’s health care budget in 2017-18 is $53.8 billion — a 3.8 per cent increase from the previous year.
- As part of the 2017 Budget, Ontario is also spending an additional $9 billion to support the construction of new hospital projects across the province. This brings Ontario's total planned investment in hospital infrastructure to more than $20 billion over the next 10 years.
- Ontario is making the largest investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history – more than $190 billion in public infrastructure over 13 years, starting in 2014-15. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
“By investing in this new state-of-the-art hospital, we will make sure we can continue to provide high-quality health care close to home for people in Wellington County, now and in the future. This new hospital will provide better access to care, reduce wait times, and greatly improve the patient experience.”
“After years of discussing, advocating, fundraising, designing and planning for a new hospital, it is exciting to physically see the new Groves hospital begin to take shape. Thank you to all who have participated in the planning over the past ten years. Your efforts will make a difference with a new hospital that offers more space for emergency, ambulatory, diagnostic and inpatient services to accommodate a growing community.”
“The beginning of construction marks the largest milestone to date for the new Groves Hospital project. Celebrating this achievement with our community, staff, physicians, volunteers, donors and partners is remarkable as this project will touch every facet of our community for generations to come.”