Patients and Families in Durham Region to Get New State-of-the-Art Hospital Facilities
Ontario Improving Access to Care at Bowmanville Hospital
Ontario is ensuring that families in Bowmanville and Durham Region continue to have access to high-quality, state-of-the-art care close to home, by supporting the redevelopment and expansion of Lakeridge Health's Bowmanville Hospital.
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care, was joined by Granville Anderson, MPP, Durham, today at the Bowmanville Hospital to announce that the redevelopment project is moving forward.
The project will replace the old north wing of the hospital with a new patient tower, to meet the changing health care needs of local residents. In addition to the new building, Lakeridge Health will expand facilities for a variety of programs and services including, a new emergency department, new surgical services, a critical care unit and inpatient units as well as diagnostic imaging.
Building and expanding hospitals is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- In 2017-18, the Ontario Government invested $100 million to open more than 1,200 new hospital beds to increase capacity in hospitals in advance of the flu season.
- As part of the in-year capacity investment announced in October 2017, Lakeridge Health received up to $1,507,000 in one-time funding to support 22 additional beds between mid-November and March 31, 2018.
- The Central East LHIN will also receive up to $1,694,000 in additional one-time funding to support up to 28 additional beds (as needed) in the region between December 2017 and March 2018.
- Ontario is investing more than $37 million over the next three years, including $17 million in 2017-18, to expand Rapid Access Clinics so patients with musculoskeletal conditions can access the right care faster.
- Lakeridge Health has a total of 46 mental health and addiction beds, 38 adult beds and 8 child beds.
“The Ontario government recognizes the tremendous impact projects like this have on patients, staff and the surrounding community. Redeveloping the Bowmanville Hospital with modern, new facilities will help health care professionals provide the best possible care to their patients now and into the future.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins
“When I began my role as MPP for Durham in 2014, securing the Bowmanville Hospital expansion was one of my top priorities. I am pleased to see our government make such an important investment in health care in Durham—my constituents deserve a hospital that can keep up with this growth. Today, four years later, I am elated to deliver again with funding for the Bowmanville Hospital expansion.”
“Part of what makes East Durham a great place to live is access to quality health care services at our local hospital. Today's announcement to expand and revitalize Bowmanville Hospital ensures that the East Durham community will have access to high-quality health care for generations to come.”