Expanding Natural Gas to More Communities Across Ontario
Province Launching New Natural Gas Grant
Ontario is expanding access to natural gas for communities that do not currently have service, including those in rural and Northern Ontario and First Nations communities.
The province has heard from people who have asked for service to be expanded to their communities to support greater consumer choice, economic growth and new jobs. In response, Ontario is launching a new natural gas grant program to support the building of natural gas infrastructure.
Municipalities and First Nations communities will be able to work with utilities and natural gas distributors to bring forward proposals under a competitive intake process.
By enabling more communities to access natural gas, Ontario will attract new industry, make commercial transportation and agriculture more affordable, provide a cleaner source of energy and reduce costs.
Expanding access to natural gas is part of the government's plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- Ontario is providing $100 million for the new Natural Gas Grant Program, part of the province’s Moving Ontario Forward plan.
- The Natural Gas Grant Program will begin accepting applications in spring 2017.
- Natural gas is the dominant heating source in Ontario and continues to be consistently less expensive than alternative sources such as electricity, heating oil and propane. For example, switching from oil to natural gas under this program can save an average consumer an estimated $1,100 annually.
- Ontario is investing $100 million from the Ontario Green Investment Fund to help homeowners reduce their energy bills and cut greenhouse gas emissions.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history. To learn more about what’s happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
“Increased access to natural gas in towns across the province will generate significant local investment, help businesses grow and create jobs, and it will improve the quality of life for all Ontario residents.”
“Ensuring affordable sources of energy are available to more rural and Northern communities is a key part of Ontario’s energy plan. Today’s announcement is going to ensure more families and businesses across Ontario are able to choose a cheaper way to heat their homes and workplaces.”
“Our government is delivering on its promise to expand natural gas to rural Ontario. This key infrastructure investment will provide more affordable energy choices for rural Ontario businesses and families as well as our agri-food sector, helping generate economic activity, create jobs and attract new industry to Ontario. I look forward to continuing to work together to support the economic viability of our rural communities, so that they remain places where our children can live, grow, work and play.”