Ontario Creating New Aquatic Centre in Toronto
Ontario Enhancing Cultural and Recreational Services for Families
Ontario is enhancing community services and programs for people in Toronto, with the creation of a new aquatic centre and multi-purpose recreational space.
Through the 2018 Budget, the province is supporting the creation of the Sorauren Park Aquatic Centre. Planned features include:
- A multi-lane, 25-metre lap pool
- Leisure pool
- Spa / therapeutic pool
- Gender neutral changing rooms, allowing full accessibility for all patrons.
The Sorauren Park Aquatic Centre will be connected to the Wabash Community Centre, a planned local community hub. The aquatic centre will offer swimming lessons and teach water safety while bringing people in the community together to improve their fitness and wellbeing.
Improving access to recreational and cultural services is part of the government's plan to support care, create opportunity and make life more affordable during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes free prescription drugs for everyone under 25, and 65 or over, through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, and free preschool child care from 2 ½ to kindergarten.
- Ontario plans to invest up to $3.3 million of provincial funding toward the total Sorauren Park Aquatic Centre project cost of approximately $10 million.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province’s history – $230 billion over 14 years. To learn more about what’s happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
- The province recently signed a bilateral agreement with the federal government for $11.8 billion in federal infrastructure funding over the next 10 years, including $407 million for community, culture and recreation infrastructure. Under this agreement, the province will work with municipalities and other partners to assess projects for nomination and approval by the federal government.
“This aquatic facility will improve recreational opportunities in the community by providing access to a series of inclusive programs for local residents and families. Our government’s support will help provide economic and cultural opportunities, creating a community centre that is focused on physical activity, health and wellness.”