Northstar Hospitality GP Inc. Fined $70,000 After Worker Injured
Toronto, ON - Northstar Hospitality GP Inc. was fined $70,000 for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a worker was injured at the Toronto Hilton.
On August 9, 2011, a worker was doing a weekly test of the Toronto Hilton's emergency generator equipment. The worker saw a leak under the radiator at the back of the generator and leaned over near the fan box to get a better look. The worker's hand inadvertently entered an opening at the bottom of the fan box and the worker's fingers were amputated.
Northstar Hospitality GP Inc. pleaded guilty to failing to ensure that the generator was guarded to prevent access to its moving parts.
The fine was imposed by Justice of the Peace Kevin Madigan. In addition to the fine, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
Court Information at a Glance
Location: Ontario Court of Justice
70 Centre Ave.
Judge: Justice of the Peace Kevin Madigan
Date of Sentencing: October 25, 2012
Defendants: Northstar Hospitality GP Inc.
Matter: Occupational Health and Safety
Convictions: Ontario Regulation 851, Section 24
Crown Counsel: Line Forestier