Ontario Investing $1.7 Million to Improve Occupational Health and Safety
Province Funds 12 Organizations to Enhance Health and Safety Outcomes
Ontario has awarded 12 grants to organizations throughout the province as part of the new Occupational Health and Safety Prevention and Innovation Program (OHSPIP) - an initiative to help improve occupational health and safety in workplaces.
Under the new grants program, $1.7 million has been awarded to 12 successful applicant organizations to support a variety of health and safety projects including:
- A new online application to improve health and safety awareness among young workers
- New training videos that use American Sign Language to improve workplace health and safety training for workers with difficulties hearing
- Enhanced training to improve understanding of potential hazards presented by radiation in Ontario's workplaces, and
- Musculoskeletal Disorder Injury Prevention Training for Developmental Service Workers
Improving occupational health and safety is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- The 2015-16 funding for the Occupational Health and Safety Prevention and Innovation Program is just over $1.7 million.
- The first open call for applications was launched in September 2014 and the ministry’s Prevention Office received 85 applications through the OHSPIP.
“The Ministry of Labour is pleased to work with our partners throughout Ontario to improve health and safety in our communities. Investing in programs like the Occupational Health and Safety Prevention and Innovation Program will help our province continue to be one of the safest places to work in the world.”
“By working on improving occupational health and safety outcomes through collaboration and innovation, we can move forward on our goal of ensuring every worker goes home safe at the end of their shift.”