Ontario Helping Employers Meet Health and Safety Requirements
New Web Resources, Checklist Will Help Businesses Keep Workers Safe
The Ministry of Labour has created a simple and easy to understand checklist to help employers meet health and safety requirements in Ontario.
The checklist includes questions that will help employers evaluate how well they are complying with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA).
The checklist is organized into four parts:
- Roles and responsibilities - to help employers and workers understand their responsibilities in the workplace
- Reporting and records management -- to help employers understand reporting requirements when there is a workplace incident such as an injury
- Hazards in the workplace -- ensuring procedures are in place to control hazards
- Training -- ensuring all workers complete mandatory health and safety awareness training, including specific training on hazards found in the workplace
The ministry has also created a webpage for small businesses that bundles resources in one place to help employers understand and comply with OHSA and the Employment Standards Act in Ontario.
Strengthening workplace health and safety for workers is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.
- Small businesses (fewer than 50 workers) comprise 95% of all business in Ontario.
- Small businesses employ more than 1.6 million Ontarians — almost a third of the workforce.
- Small businesses’ lost time injury rate is higher than the Ontario average.
“Ontario workplaces are among the safest in the world, but injuries and deaths still occur, so we need to continue to take steps to make work safer. This Health and Safety Checklist will go a long way to help small business owners ensure their workplaces are safe and the people who work for them remain healthy. Safe companies are successful companies, and it’s important to this government that we make resources available to help small businesses thrive.”