Company Director Fined $30,000 After Failing to Pay Wages
Convicted: Tye S. Farrow, a director of Farrow Partnership Architects Inc., 90 Lyndhurst Ave., Toronto, Ontario
Location: City of Toronto
Description of Offence: A company director failed to pay owed wages after being ordered to do so by a Ministry of Labour employment standards officer. The order was for $67,977.48, about $57,000 of which was still outstanding at the time of sentencing.
Date of Offence: February 19, 2016
Date of Conviction: April 5, 2018
- Following a guilty plea, Tye Farrow, a director of Farrow Partnership Architects Inc., was fined $30,000 in Toronto South court by Justice of the Peace Alfred Johnston; Crown Counsel Line Forestier.
- The court also imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
- The defendant, Tye Farrow, was a director of Farrow Partnership Architects Inc.
- A ministry employment standards officer determined the company owed 14 former employees about $240,000, which included outstanding wages, vacation pay, termination and severance pay.
- On May 12, 2015, the officer issued an order to pay to the defendant. This order was for $67,977.48, which is the portion for which the director was liable under the Employment Standards Act (ESA).
- The director failed to comply with the order to pay, or request a review of it.
- On April 27, 2016, a charge for failure to comply with the order was laid.
- The amounts owed by the defendant to his former employees range between $200 to $25,000.