Woodbine Mall Operators Fined $50,000 for Failure to Pay Workers As Required
Convicted: Woodbine Mall Holdings Inc., 2562 Stanfield Road, Mississauga, Ontario, an operator of a shopping mall and children's amusement centre.
Location of Workplace: 500 Rexdale Boulevard, Mississauga.
Description of Offence: The company failed to pay wages on the established recurring pay day.
Date of Offence: November 1, 2018.
Date of Conviction: February 28, 2019.
- Following a guilty plea, the company was fined $50,000 in Old City Hall court, Toronto, by Justice of the Peace Odida Quamina; Provincial Prosecutor Dave Simpson.
- The court also imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine surcharge as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime.
- On November 15th, 2017, an employment standards officer conducted an employment standards inspection of Woodbine. The inspection was initiated after complaints by Woodbine employees were received by the Ministry of Labour alleging that Woodbine was not paying its employees their wages on the established recurring pay day. The business employs about 140 workers.
- During subsequent visits, inspections and requests for payroll records, it was revealed that Woodbine on or about November 1, 2018, failed as an employer to meet its established recurring pay period and pay day for the period of October 1, 2018 to October 14, 2018. Specifically, Woodbine failed to meet its payroll date of October 24, 2018. Employees were paid on October 30, 2018, November 1, 2018 and November 2, 2018 instead of October 24, 2018.
- On November 1, 2018, Woodbine Mall Holdings Inc. failed as an employer to comply with section 11 (1) of the Employment Standards Act, 2000.
- That section states that "an employer shall establish a recurring pay period and a recurring pay day and shall pay all wages earned during each pay period, other than accruing vacation pay, no later than the pay day for that period." The failure was also an offence under section 132 of the act.