Investing in Infrastructure in the Georgian Bay Area
Ontario Supporting Infrastructure Projects in Small, Rural and Northern Communities
Ontario is growing the economy and creating jobs in Wasaga Beach Township and Georgian Bay Township by supporting two projects through the new Small, Rural and Northern Municipal Infrastructure Fund.
The following projects were approved under the new fund based on applications submitted through the Municipal Infrastructure Investment Initiative earlier this year:
- Widening Schoonertown Bridge to four lanes and installing bicycle lanes, new guiderails and street lights to improve safety conditions and reduce congestion
- Realigning and widening the heavily travelled Hasketts Drive, including installing guard rails and improving drainage, to better address road safety
The Small, Rural and Northern Municipal Infrastructure Fund is now accepting expressions of interest. The fund, part of the 2013 Budget, will help communities undertake critical infrastructure projects and support local jobs.
Improving highways, roads and bridges is part of the Ontario government's plan to invest in people, invest in infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
- The new fund has three components: $4 million to help municipalities with populations under 5,000 complete asset management plans; $25 million to fund 20 previously submitted critical project proposals; and $71 million for capital projects.
- The Small, Rural and Northern Municipal Infrastructure Fund reflects municipal input gathered from a series of consultations held across the province this past summer.
- Ontario has committed to invest more than $35 billion in infrastructure across the province over the next three years, which will support more than 100,000 jobs on average each year.
“Through this new fund, our government is helping rural communities revitalize infrastructure to help grow their local economies and create jobs.”
“Our commitment to municipal infrastructure is strong. I am pleased that our Municipal Infrastructure Strategy continues to grow as more dedicated funding is provided. These investments allow our government to invest in people and build strong infrastructure across Ontario.”
“On behalf of our residents, I would like to thank the Ontario government for supporting this important infrastructure project. By widening Schoonertown Bridge and installing bicycle lanes, guiderails and street lights, we increase road safety, support active transportation and help reduce traffic congestion.”
“On behalf of the Township of Georgian Bay, I extend our sincere gratitude to the Government of Ontario for recognizing and advancing this important infrastructure project. This will address the safety concerns and road geometrics of the well-travelled Hasketts Drive, which provides primary access to many roads and residents. This funding will also allow us to complete in one construction year what would otherwise have taken years to complete.”