Supporting Jobs and Growth in Southwestern Ontario
Province Investing in Local Economic Development
Ontario is helping communities in southwestern Ontario boost tourism, attract investment and create jobs.
The province is providing $170,000 through the Rural Economic Development Program to:
- Develop a digital marketing strategy that will help the Stratford Tourism Alliance boost tourism, attract investment and better market downtown heritage sites;
- Support the development of promotional videos to boost tourism and attract investment and residents to the County of Perth;
- Help North Perth organize an annual job fair, revitalize its downtown core and introduce a learning-through-play component to the North Perth Day Care's curriculum;
- Improve downtown sidewalks, parking and other infrastructure in West Perth to help grow local businesses and boost tourism;
- Help Perth East-based Quality Fertilizers create a new product line of fertilizers made from recycled natural materials that will divert waste from landfills and create new jobs.
Supporting rural communities is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strengths -- its people and strategic partnerships.
- Since 2003, the province has invested more than $167 million in 468 Rural Economic Development Program projects, generating more than $1.2 billion in local economic activity and creating more than 35,000 jobs.
- The government is also supporting regional economic development through programs such as the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, and the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
“To help grow and diversify rural Ontario’s economy, we must continue to provide local communities with business-friendly tools, resources and support. Through the RED program, these rural communities will be better positioned to attract investment, create jobs and grow their economies.”
“Through this new funding, the Stratford Tourism Alliance will improve its online presence by developing a ‘digital organism’ consisting of digital communications experts, alliance members and the local business community.”
“The County of Perth is grateful to the province for its contribution through the Rural Economic Development Program. This funding will allow us to implement a regional branding strategy that includes developing promotional videos, highlighting local tourism attractions and activities, as well as community assets to attract new investment and residents to the area.”
“With funding from the Rural Economic Development Program, North Perth will undertake a community enhancement project to showcase the quality of life and investment opportunities available to new residents, businesses and entrepreneurs.”
“Downtown revitalization is important for West Perth. It helps attract new businesses and promotes regional tourism. With funding provided by the Rural Economic Development Program, we can complete the design, survey and engineering that are all part of the Town of Mitchell’s downtown revitalization project.”
“With funding from the Rural Economic Development Program, Quality Fertilizers can move forward in developing naturally recycled fertilizer that will reduce our company’s carbon footprint and local landfill waste. We thank the province for this important investment.”