Supporting Jobs and Growth in the Peterborough Area
Province Investing in Local Economic Development
Ontario is helping communities in the Peterborough area boost tourism, attract investment and create jobs.
The province is providing $420,000 through the Rural Economic Development Program to:
- Help the Greater Peterborough Area Economic Development Corporation develop a five-year strategic plan to guide rural economic development initiatives that will boost local tourism, increase agricultural production, strengthen and expand the business community and encourage small business start-ups.
- Create a water innovation centre in the City of Kawartha Lakes to help develop leading-edge products for the water and wastewater industry and position the municipality as a leader in water innovation while spurring local and regional economic growth.
- Help the City of Kawartha Lakes promote economic development and seize new business opportunities by studying traffic and freight movement, devising streetscape improvements, and identifying heritage conservation districts in the communities of Lindsay, Fenelon Falls, Coboconk and Norland.
Supporting rural communities is part of the government's economic plan that is creating jobs for today and tomorrow. The comprehensive plan and its six priorities focus on Ontario's greatest strengths -- its people and strategic partnerships.
- Since 2003, the province has invested more than $167 million in 468 Rural Economic Development Program projects, generating more than $1.2 billion in local economic activity and creating more than 35,000 jobs.
- The government is also supporting regional economic development through programs such as the Eastern Ontario Development Fund, the Southwestern Ontario Development Fund, and the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
“To help grow and diversify rural Ontario’s economy, we must continue to provide local communities with business-friendly tools, resources and supports. Through the Rural Economic Development program, these rural communities will be better positioned to attract investment, create jobs and grow their economies.”
“The City of Kawartha Lakes would like to thank the Ontario government for the funding provided through the Rural Economic Development program. Once complete, our downtown revitalization plan will help grow the local economy, attract investment and create jobs.”
“The Greater Peterborough Area Economic Development Corporation values its partnership with the Ontario government. Thanks to this funding, we have started developing a five-year strategic plan that will boost local tourism and agricultural production, attract new businesses and support the development of local start-up companies.”
“I would like to thank the Ontario government for supporting the development of the Water Research & Innovation Network in the City of Kawartha Lakes. This network of water sector experts will position our community as a leader in water innovation and help promote long-term local and regional economic growth.”