Ontario Enhancing Coaching And Training Opportunities
McGuinty Government Supports Training Opportunities To Benefit Athletes
High-performance athletes will now have more access to top quality coaching through Ontario helping over 1,000 coaches receive enhanced training and competitive opportunities.
Ontario is investing $1.9 million from the Quest for Gold Program to help the Canadian Sport Centre Ontario, and the Coaches Association of Ontario provide more support to high-performance coaches and athletes.
Benefits from today's investment include:
- Enhanced training for coaches in specialized skills
- Coaching Development Support such as apprenticeship and mentorship programs
- New equipment for the Canadian Sport Centre Ontario sport science lab, and
- Increased training opportunities for athletes.
- A total of $23.9 million has been provided to sport in Ontario in 2008-09.
- In 2007, the Ontario Government committed to provide $10 million a year to make the Quest for Gold program permanent with ongoing support from net revenues generated by the OLG’s Quest for Gold lottery.
- The $10 million Quest for Gold program has benefited over 8,000 high-performance athletes since January 2006.
- The Ontario Government is leading the bid to host the 2015 Pan Am Games in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Investing in the Pan Am Games would provide our high-performance coaches and athletes with new and improved sport facilities that will help them reach their full potential.
“I am very proud of the achievements of our coaches and high-performance athletes. Coaches provide leadership, expertise and guidance, and play an important role in the development of our high-performance athletes who inspire us all to lead healthy, active lives.”
“Funding provided through the Quest for Gold Program enables us to provide high-performance coaches and athletes with more training and competitive support to help them reach their full potential. By investing in Ontario’s coaches and athletes, the McGuinty government is strengthening the province’s reputation for sport on the national and global stage.”
Dr. Greg Gannon
“Thanks to Quest for Gold funding, our athletes have increased access to better-qualified coaches. For the next generation of coaches and for our athletes, we can’t leave it to luck and happenstance. The success of our coaches and athletes depends on a strategic approach to training and access to competitive opportunities.”