Celebrate Ontario 2010 Kicks Off
McGuinty Government Invites Festivals And Events To Apply For Funding
Ontario is continuing to support festivals and events that create jobs, attract tourists and boost local economies across the province.
Whether brand new or returning for another great year, festivals and events across the province are invited to apply to Celebrate Ontario 2010. The deadline for applications is November 27, 2009 and full application details can be found on the Ministry of Tourism's website at: www.ontario.ca/celebrateontario.
Celebrate Ontario 2009 supported 224 festivals and events across the province, including successes like:
- London's Home County Folk Festival which hosted a professional line-up of performers and attracted over 135,000 people over three days;
- The Oakville Waterfront Festival which saw a 14 per cent increase in visitors staying for two or more days; and
- Prescott's St. Lawrence Shakespeare Festival which enhanced its website, doubled its internet page visits and increased festival attendance by 13 per cent.
This year, Celebrate Ontario 2010 returns with $11 million available to help festivals and events of all sizes reach new audiences and invigorate local economies.
- Celebrate Ontario 2009 provided $11 million to support 224 festivals and events across the province.
- In 2007, tourists spent over $22 billion in Ontario.
- 300,000 people in Ontario are directly and indirectly employed by the tourism industry.
“Our government knows how important festivals and events are in driving tourism in Ontario. This investment is not only helping our festivals and events enhance their program, it is also helping them attract new audiences to their communities, while creating jobs for more Ontarians and generating increased economic activity for the entire province.”