Turning The Corner - Music Industry Hits It Big In Ontario
McGuinty Government Supporting Jobs and Growth In Music Industry
Ontario's music industry produces world-class talent, record hits and is helping Ontario's economy in turning the corner.
The province's sound recording and music publishing industry accounts for close to $463 million in revenues - 78 percent of Canada's industry total.
Toronto's Arts & Crafts Music is one of many successful, critically acclaimed Ontario-based independent labels that can access resources offered by the province which include:
- The Ontario Sound Recording Tax Credit, which directly assists the recording and music publishing industry.
- The Music Fund which helps support digital projects.
- The Export Fund which helps strengthen export development in new markets.
Ontario produces a huge number of critically acclaimed and globally popular artists including: Broken Social Scene, Feist, Deadmau5, Down With Webster, Johnny Reid, Justin Bieber, Royal Wood, Rush, Sarah Harmer, Shad, Finger Eleven, Keshia Chanté, Mia Martina and Metric.
Investing in sound recording and music publishing is part of the province's Open Ontario Plan to help the economy in Turning The Corner and create more jobs for Ontarians.
- The long list of OMDC-supported Ontario indie labels, publishers and managers includes MapleMusic, Arts & Crafts Music, Coalition Records, Dine Alone Records, Six Shooter Records, and ole Media Management among many others.
- With funding from the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), Arts & Crafts Music records internationally-renowned artists such as Broken Social Scene, Feist and Stars.
- OMDC along with the City of Toronto and Tourism Toronto brought the JUNO Awards and Celebrations Week to Ontario to mark its 40th anniversary in 2011.
- 78 Ontario artists received 103 JUNO Award nominations in 2011; 56 of these artists (71 per cent) are on independent Ontario-owned and controlled record labels, publishers and managers.
- Watch OMDC's "We've Got It Going ON" video featuring the cultural industry.
- Find out more about the Ontario Media Development Corporation.
- Find out more about the Ontario Sound Recording Tax Credit.
- Read more about OMDC's programs that support sound recording and music publishing.
- Follow OMDC on Twitter.
- Follow OMDC on Facebook.
“Ontario is centre stage on the music scene with world renowned artists and performers who are celebrated both at home and abroad. The province is a proud partner of our innovative recording and music industries whose initiatives showcase our talent to the world while creating jobs and helping Ontario's economy in turning the corner.”