Ontario Honours Top Athletes
New Ontario Government Recognizes Achievements in Amateur Sport
Ontario honoured some of the province's top athletes, coaches, officials, volunteers and corporate supporters for their outstanding achievements to amateur sport in 2012.
- Patrick Chan - Male Athlete of the Year (Figure Skating)
- Rossanagh MacLennan - Female Athlete of the Year (Gymnastics)
- Patrick Anderson - Male Athlete with a Disability of the Year (Wheelchair Basketball)
- Summer Mortimer - Female Athlete with a Disability of the Year (Para-Swimming)
- Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir - Team of the Year (Figure Skating)
- Reg Chappel - Male Coach of the Year (Swimming)
- Jennifer Lee - Female Coach of the Year (Badminton)
Recognizing outstanding athletes and celebrating their achievements supports the new Ontario government's efforts to build a stronger province where everyone has the opportunity to succeed.
- Established in 1965, the Ontario Sport Awards is the highest recognition for excellence in amateur sport in the province.
- Finalists are nominated by their Provincial/Multi Sport Organization. Winners are chosen by the Sport Awards Selection Committee, a group comprised of former athletes and sport administrators from Ontario.
- Of the 27 Ontario athletes who reached the podium at the London 2012 Olympic Summer Games, 24 received support through the province's Quest for Gold program.
- 15 Ontario athletes (and 1 guide runner) earned 12 event medals at the London 2012 Paralympic Summer Games. Of these, 13 (plus the guide runner) received support through the province's Quest for Gold Program.
- The 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games will create 15,000 jobs, build new and improve sport infrastructure, attract 250,000 visitors and welcome 10,000 athletes, coaches and officials.
“Congratulations to all of the talented athletes recognized at this year’s Ontario Sport Awards. We are proud to celebrate the motivation, determination and passion of Ontario’s finest amateur athletes and the dedicated coaches, volunteers and sponsors who support them. Our government is committed to achieving excellence in athletics across the province through programs that support our aspiring athletes from the playground to the podium.”
“I want to congratulate all the recipients and finalists of the Ontario Sport Awards. We are thrilled to be able to recognize the amazing athletes, coaches, volunteers, and sponsors, who work so hard in their respective sports year after year. It was great to see that so many finalists were Olympic and Paralympic medalists, which demonstrates excellence in the Ontario sport system.”
“It is an honour to be recognized by the Province of Ontario in front of the sporting community at the Ontario Sport Awards. As an athlete I am grateful for the support I receive from my Provincial Sport Organization and the Province of Ontario.”