Ontario Helping IGNITE Excitement for the 2015 Games
Provincewide Pan Am and Parapan Am Celebrations Boosting Local Tourism; Jobs
Ontario is supporting celebrations across the province to connect residents and visitors with the spirit and cultural diversity of the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.
Through the IGNITE Ontario program, a partnership with TO2015, the province is helping organizations and municipalities celebrate the upcoming Games with 103 initiatives that:
- Motivate, engage and inspire Ontarians to participate in the Games and related activities
- Engage communities in Pan Am/Parapan Am sports and healthy active living
- Celebrate the culture and heritage of the Americas and the Caribbean, which are themes of the Games
- Strengthen economic and cultural connections between Ontario and the Americas and Caribbean
- Foster inclusivity and diversity by involving youth, persons with disabilities, and members of Aboriginal and francophone communities.
Supporting these Games is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- IGNITE Ontario is part of the government’s Promotion, Celebration and Legacy Strategy to extend the benefits of hosting the Games to communities across the province.
- The nearly $1 million one-time grant program is designed to support TO2015 IGNITE-designated initiatives leading up to and during the 2015 Pan Am/Parapan Am Games.
- The Games and Games-related investments will create more than 26,000 jobs and grow Ontario’s real GDP by $3.7 billion from 2009 to 2017.
“We are pleased to help Ontario communities celebrate and build excitement for the TORONTO 2015 Pan Am and Parapan Am Games. Thanks to the province’s support for IGNITE Ontario initiatives, residents and visitors will be able to explore, experience and enjoy the cultural diversity and spirit of the Games.”
“The TORONTO 2015 IGNITE program is making history by supporting over 650 initiatives, across the Games footprint, helping jump-start grassroots involvement in the TORONTO 2015 Games. It is a first for a Pan Am/Parapan Am Games, which will create a legacy of better, healthier, more connected and joyful communities.”