Applications Open for Ontario Sport and Recreation Communities Funding
Province Investing in Physical Activity and Healthy Living
Ontario is now accepting applications for the 2016-17 intake of the Ontario Sport and Recreation Communities Fund, a program which promotes community sport, recreation and physical activity.
Through this grant program, the province will invest $7.2 million in 2016-17 to help Ontarians stay active, with initiatives including:
- Funding new or existing programs that encourage people to be more active and engaged, including those who experience barriers to participation and those who are traditionally less active.
- Supporting physical literacy, so that people can build a foundation for lifelong physical activity.
- Funding training in areas such as coaching, youth development and volunteer development to strengthen the community sport and recreation sector.
In 2015-16, the fund supported 125 projects across the province, with the goal of providing programs and services to over 350,000 participants across Ontario, including about $270,000 to Motivate Canada to train qualified leaders across the province to enhance levels of physical activity and physical literacy among children and youth; $20,000 to the Town of Milton to support the development of a new track cycling program for persons with disabilities; and many more.
Enabling people in communities across Ontario to lead healthy, active lives is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history, creating a dynamic, innovative environment where business thrives, and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- The deadline to apply for 2016-17 funding is January 21, 2016 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
- Interested and eligible organizations can apply by logging on to Grants Ontario, a secure web-based application system that provides one-window access for users to draft and submit grant applications, check application status and manage reports.
- Over $22 million has been invested through the fund since it launched in January 2013.
- Ontario is committed to providing access and opportunities for our children and students to participate in 60 minutes of physical activity, both in and outside of school. Promoting well-being is a key goal of Achieving Excellence, Ontario’s renewed vision for education.
“The Ontario Sport and Recreation Communities Fund supports the province’s sport and recreation organizations that work hard to provide opportunities for Ontario families to lead healthier, more fulfilling lives. It helps us achieve our vision of a province where children and adults are active and engaged throughout their lives.”