Ontario Supporting 93 Community Projects Across the Province
Ontario Trillium Foundation Grants Are Helping People in Their Everyday Lives
Ontario is supporting 93 non-profit projects across the province that will make a difference in people's lives, strengthen communities and support our environment.
MPP Jeff Leal was in Peterborough today, on behalf of Eleanor McMahon, Minister of Tourism Culture and Sport, to highlight a collaborative grant led by GreenUp, a local environmental organization. The grant, awarded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation, will support a Regional Centre of Expertise that will teach people and organizations about sustainable development, including water and energy conservation, waste reduction and local food production.
The Ontario Trillium Foundation supports projects ranging from preserving Indigenous languages and cultural traditions, to helping people lead active lives or learn new job skills.
Ontario Trillium Foundation grants are awarded to projects that:
- Foster more active lifestyles
- Build inclusive and engaged communities
- Encourage people to support a healthy and sustainable environment
- Enrich lives through arts, culture and heritage
- Support the positive development of children and youth
- Enhance people's economic well-being, including developing job skills.
Investing in local communities is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- GreenUp is receiving a $75,000 grant through the Ontario Trillium Foundation for its Regional Centre of Expertise.
- Ontario is investing more than $5 million in the 93 non-profit initiatives that will help build strong social and cultural communities across the province.
- Since April 1, 2013 the province, through the Ontario Trillium Foundation, has invested over $354 million in projects to help build healthy and vibrant communities.
- The Ontario Trillium Foundation is an agency of the Government of Ontario and one of Canada’s largest granting foundations.
- The Ontario Trillium Foundation uses research to guide decision-making and relies on community-based volunteers across Ontario to review applications and guide granting decisions.
- Learn about the Foundation’s Investment Strategy
“We are fortunate to live in a province of inclusion, innovation and opportunity. Through the Ontario Trillium Foundation, our government is making important investments that result in real differences for communities across the province. Today’s announcement will strengthen the social and cultural nature of our diverse communities.”
“When the Ontario Trillium Foundation invests in projects like the Regional Centre for Expertise, we’re encouraged to see environmental organizations like GreenUP collaborating with so many community partners. This kind of inclusive and engaged effort shows how Ontario’s communities are becoming more environmentally healthy and vibrant places to live. Through this initiative, the Ontario Government and the Ontario Trillium Foundation are building strong communities for future generations.”
“Today’s investments in programs like this one here in Peterborough are part of our commitment to strengthen initiatives and programs that reflect local interests in preserving and securing a sustainable environmental future. My hope is that everyone participates in the rich and diverse social and cultural programs and initiatives available in their communities.”
“GreenUP is very grateful to be the recipient of a Seed Grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation. This Seed Grant will provided critical resourcing for the newly established Peterborough-Kawartha’s Regional Centre of Expertise on Education for Sustainable Development - a prestigious designation recognized by the United Nations University, and endorsed by UNESCO. This grant will help us communicate and share knowledge around the world!”