Ontario Introduces French Licence Plate
McGuinty Government Recognizes Ontario's Francophone Community
Ontario's licence plate slogan YOURS TO DISCOVER is now available in the French equivalent, TANT A DECOUVRIR.
The new French licence plate is available at Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Offices and ServiceOntario locations providing Driver and Vehicle licence services. The standard plate replacement fee of $20.00 will apply for customers who wish to exchange their English slogan licence plate for a French slogan plate.
Ontario is committed to ensuring that Francophones have access to provincial government services in French.
- Close to 550,000 Francophones live in Ontario - the largest French-speaking community in Canada outside Quebec.
- Requirements for a motor vehicle to display a licence plate started in 1903, under the Highway Traffic Act.
- The slogan KEEP IT BEAUTIFUL began in 1973 and YOURS TO DISCOVER replaced this slogan in 1982.
- The French slogan passenger licence plate reflects the Province of Ontario's commitment to comply with the French Languages Services Act.
- General information about vehicle licensing is available on the Ministry of Transportation's website.
- ServiceOntario is the place to obtain government services online, through their kiosks, in person or over the phone. Approximately 36 million transactions are completed annually. Visit us online or call us at 1-800-267-8097.
- Learn more about Ontario's Francophone community.
“The new French slogan licence plate shows that the McGuinty government supports the delivery of high-quality public services and products for our large French speaking population. Ontario is truly YOURS TO DISCOVER now in both French and English.”
“All Ontarians now have the opportunity to show, on our roads and wherever else their travels take them, that Ontario is proud of its French culture and language.”
“I am delighted that the people of Ontario can now buy slogan licence plates in both official languages through ServiceOntario. We're listening to what the people of Ontario want - and happy to deliver the best services possible.”