Ontario Helps Green Commercial Fleets
McGuinty Government Helps Companies Go Green
The province is encouraging Ontario companies to switch to greener commercial vehicles and technologies that will help improve fuel efficiency and reduce green house gas emissions.
More than 1,300 applications were received from about 150 Ontario companies for grants under the Green Commercial Vehicle Program.
Under the four-year, $15-million Green Commercial Vehicle Program, companies are able to apply for grants to:
- Purchase hybrid and alternative-fuel vehicles
- Retrofit heavy-duty vehicles with anti-idling technologies
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 40,000 tonnes is equivalent to taking about 8,000 cars off the road each year.
- 132 companies will share $2.3 million in grants this fiscal year for almost 1,200 vehicles.
- Approximately 182,000 commercial vehicles operate in Ontario.
“Our Green Commercial Vehicle Program aims to take up to 40,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions out of our air every year. This grant program is helping big and small companies to operate greener, more fuel-efficient vehicles that will help us all breathe a little easier.”