Parkway Review Committee
The government has retained leading experts to review concerns about certain concrete girders installed on the Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway.
Review Committee Chair
The chair of the independent expert review is Harvey J. Kirsh, a recognized authority in construction law. Mr. Kirsh has 40 years of experience in the litigation, arbitration and mediation of complex construction claims and disputes arising out of significant infrastructure, energy, resource, industrial, commercial, and institutional projects, both domestically and internationally. He was the founding president of the Canadian College of Construction Lawyers, and is a fellow of both the American College of Construction Lawyers and the College of Commercial Arbitrators. Designated as a chartered arbitrator since 1984, he is a member of the Global Engineering and Construction Group of JAMS, the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services in the world. He is counsel to the Toronto construction law firm Glaholt LLP and has been certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a "Specialist in Construction Law".
Review Committee Members
- Dr. Husham Almansour is a research associate with the National Research Council Institute for Research in Construction and an adjunct professor in structural engineering at the Ottawa-Carleton Institute of Civil Engineering. Dr. Almansour has 25 years of experience in structural design, modeling and testing, with focus on bridge structures.
- Carlos Laborde-Basto is an engineer and owner of Laborde and Associates. During his career, Mr. Laborde-Basto has supported project teams, conducted structure condition surveys and evaluations, and provided direction for rehabilitation and special studies on structures. He has been involved as a specialist and project manager in numerous provincial and municipal road and bridge projects.
- Dr. Saeed Mirza is Professor Emeritus at McGill University and is an internationally recognized authority in non-linear structural concrete analysis and design, as well as the design, management and assessment of sustainable civil infrastructure. Dr. Mirza is the recipient of several university, national and international awards for outstanding teaching, research and scholarship, and has made significant worldwide contributions to the development and practice of civil and structural engineering.
- Dr. Shamim Sheikh is a professor of civil engineering at the University of Toronto. Among his many awards is the American Concrete Institute Structural Research Award for outstanding contributions to the application of structural engineering research and for notable achievement in research in structural engineering. Currently, Dr. Sheikh chairs Committee S16 of the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CHBDC) on fibre-reinforced structures and is a member of the CHBDC Committee.
- Dr. Dagmar Svecova is a professor in the department of civil engineering at the University of Manitoba, with research interests in the field of structural engineering including reinforced and prestressed concrete structures. Dr. Svecova is a member of the American Concrete Institute and the Canadian Society of Civil Engineers and is director of the Intelligent Sensing for Innovative Structures Canada Resource Centre.