Ontario Expanding Highway 401 in Cambridge
Province Helping to Improve Traffic Flow in the Region of Waterloo
Ontario is widening a 4.2-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 between Highway 8 and Hespeler Road from six to 10 lanes to help improve traffic flow in the Region of Waterloo.
The project, which will create or sustain more than 1,200 construction jobs, includes:
- Repairing, repaving and expanding a 4.2-kilometre section of Highway 401 from six to 10 lanes
- Building one High Occupancy Vehicle lane in each direction
- Widening and repairing the Grand River Electric Railway Overpass
- Widening and repairing the CN rail overpass
- Replacing four bridges over the Speed River
- Repairing the Highway 8 bridge over Sportsworld Drive and the Highway 401 and Hespeler Road interchange bridge
- Installing noise walls and retaining walls
- Building wider outside shoulders for buses to bypass traffic
- Realigning interchange ramps at Highway 8 and Hespeler Road
- Implementing median-mounted High Mast Lighting
Construction is targeted for completion by summer 2019.
Improving highways, roads and bridges across the province is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four-part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- The $112.8 million contract was awarded to Dufferin Construction.
- Ontario has 16,900 kilometres of highway and 2,800 bridges.
- Ontario is investing $2.5 billion in road and bridge construction projects this year, creating or sustaining approximately 25,000 jobs.
“Widening Highway 401 in the Cambridge area will help improve traffic flow for residents and businesses. This project, and many other construction projects this summer, is proof of our government’s commitment to making the daily commute and quality of life better for Ontario residents.”
Steven Del Duca
“This project is an important investment in highway infrastructure. Widening Highway 401, adding HOV lanes and repairing bridges will help keep traffic moving safely and efficiently.”
“This is great news for the region. This major investment will help make travel easier for families and businesses, and will help support jobs and economic growth in the area.”