Ontario Recognizes Carpool Week
Province Adds More Carpool Parking at GO Transit Stations
In recognition of Carpool Week, which runs Feb. 1-7 this year, the province is encouraging commuters to share their ride by carpooling.
Carpooling has many benefits including reducing greenhouse gas emissions and managing congestion on our roads. Ontario has made it easier for commuters to carpool by:
- adding more designated carpool parking at GO Transit stations, including six new spots at Langstaff station, six at Maple station and four at both Rouge Hill and Cooksville stations
- continuing to build commuter parking lots near major interchanges across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and the Simcoe and Niagara areas
- providing a tool to find or help set up a carpool.
Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in the province's history - more than $134 billion over 10 years, which is making 110,000 jobs possible every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In the last six months of 2015, the province announced support for nearly 200 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.
Investing in transit is part of the government's plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in people's talents and skills, making the largest investment in public infrastructure in the province's history, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure retirement savings plan.
- This annual campaign is led by Metrolinx’s Smart Commute program.
- Through Smart Commute, Metrolinx works with schools, workplaces, and communities to encourage smart travel choices like carpooling, public transit, cycling, walking and teleworking.
- GO Transit offers more than 500 designated carpool parking spaces at 48 of its stations.
- In the GTHA, Simcoe and Niagara areas alone there are 44 MTO/GO Transit carpool lots on the provincial highway network, providing close to 6,100 carpool parking spaces.
- Learn more about the benefits of carpooling at the Smart Commute website
“By adding more parking for carpooling we are encouraging drivers to share a ride and take advantage of the many benefits of carpooling and taking transit. Our government is committed to making the daily commute better for Ontario families.”
“By participating in Carpool Week and investing in carpool parking at GO stations, Metrolinx is committed to reducing the number of single occupant vehicles on the road. Supporting smart travel choices such as carpooling is another example of how Metrolinx is transforming the way the region moves.”