Ontario Making Daily Commute Easier for York Region Families
New Gormley GO Station to Provide More Transit Options in Richmond Hill
Ontario is opening the new Gormley GO station in Richmond Hill, providing more transit options and improving commutes for families in York Region.
Starting Dec. 5, five morning and five afternoon GO train trips will serve the new station along the Richmond Hill line, near Stouffville Rd. and Highway 404. GO buses will also serve the new station, with two-way midday service between Gormley and Union Station, as well as night-time service from Union.
The station features 850 parking spaces, electric vehicle charging stations, a bus loop, a kiss-and-ride area, heated shelters, and a platform snowmelt system for customer convenience.
Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
Building new transit infrastructure and improving GO service is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- To support new GO service to Gormley GO Station, a layover train storage facility with capacity for six trains was recently built and opened in Richmond Hill.
- The Gormley GO Station is fully accessible and has been built to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification. Green building features include rainwater harvesting technology and innovative roofing that is made from 95 per cent recycled materials.
- Careful design work also preserved the natural environment around Gormley GO Station, including a creek, a forested area and a small meadow.
- Ontario invested $22 million to build the new Gormley GO Station.
- Since 2013, Ontario and Metrolinx have built three new GO stations, renovated 10 existing GO stations, and added a total of 7,000 new GO station parking spots. They have also purchased 220 new GO buses, 69 new GO train coaches, and 10 new GO train locomotives.
“As the MPP for Vaughan, I know just how quickly York Region is growing and thriving. Building the new Gormley GO Station will help us meet the increasing demand for GO rail and bus services. The Gormley GO Station will help make it easier and more efficient for you to travel and will truly transform the way the region moves.”
Steven Del Duca
“This is great news for commuters in Oak Ridges-Markham. Ontarians lead busy lives – getting to work, school or to appointments should be stress-free. The new GO Station will make the daily commute easier for local residents.”
Dr. Helena Jaczek
“Today’s announcement is great news for GO Transit users on the Richmond Hill line. The new Gormley GO Station will make daily commutes more accessible and convenient in our community by improving travel times, service reliability and connectivity with other local transit systems.”
“We are very pleased to be able to provide more GO train and bus service for York Region customers with the opening of our new Gormley GO Station. This is proof of our commitment to expand the GO Transit network and to bring more transit to more people throughout the GTHA.”