Buy or Top-Up Your PRESTO Card at Select Shoppers Drug Mart Stores in Toronto
Ontario Making it Easier and More Convenient to Take Public Transit
Ontario is making it easier to take public transit and pay the fare by working with Shoppers Drug Mart to sell and load PRESTO cards at select stores in Toronto.
Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca and Trinity-Spadina MPP Han Dong visited Shoppers Drug Mart on King Street West in Toronto today to announce the arrangement between Shoppers Drug Mart and Metrolinx, which operates PRESTO.
Beginning today, customers will be able to buy, load, and set discounts for children, elementary and high school students and seniors on their PRESTO cards at 10 Shoppers Drug Mart locations across the city, with more locations to be added later this year. An up-to-date list of all PRESTO retail outlets is available at prestocard.ca.
Making transit more convenient and accessible is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
- PRESTO is an electronic, reloadable fare card, based on smart-card technology that allows customers to use a single fare payment method across 11 transit systems in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA) and Ottawa: Brampton Transit, Burlington Transit, Durham Region Transit, GO Transit, Hamilton Street Railway (HSR), MiWay, Oakville Transit, OC Transpo, Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), UP Express and York Region Transit/Viva (YRT/Viva)
- More than 2.7 million PRESTO cards are currently in use across these 11 transit systems.
- Any customer can load funds onto their cards at these locations, however, adding a monthly or weekly pass can only be done through existing customer service outlets within the transit agency’s operating area, or online at prestocard.ca
- Once the child, elementary and high school student or senior discount is set on the card, the discount will apply to fares on all participating transit systems using PRESTO in the GTHA and Ottawa.
- Pre-loaded PRESTO cards are also available at 60 Gateway Newstands locations across the TTC network.
“The collaboration between Metrolinx and Shoppers Drug Mart is good news for transit users in Toronto. This is one more way Ontario is working to innovatively transform the transit experience with the goal of making public transit a better, more convenient and more accessible choice for people to use every day.”
“Being able to buy and load PRESTO cards at our local Shoppers Drug Mart is going to make a big difference for my constituents who use public transit, and particularly seniors. This is great news and will make using PRESTO easier for people in Toronto.”
“Metrolinx is creating a better customer experience for PRESTO users. Offering PRESTO at Shoppers Drug Mart will make it easier for us to connect people to where they need to go.”
“Shoppers Drug Mart stores provide our customers with outstanding service and convenience, with extended hours in accessible stores across the city. We’re pleased to expand our offering in transit options with the introduction of PRESTO in select stores and look forward to rolling out to further locations in the city.”
“Today’s announcement is a positive step forward for PRESTO in Toronto, and it supports the work we’re doing to roll PRESTO out on the TTC. Having more locations for people to buy, load and set a discount fare on their PRESTO card is very helpful and will make it easier for those who are ready to transition to PRESTO to do so.”