Ontario Announces New GO Station at Woodbine
The government of Ontario and Metrolinx will partner with Woodbine Entertainment on a plan to develop and build a new GO station along Highway 27 near Woodbine race track, on the Kitchener GO rail line.
The new GO station at Woodbine will increase transit access to nearby landmarks including Woodbine Mall, Humber College, University of Guelph at Humber and Etobicoke General Hospital. The business case for a GO station at Woodbine near Highway 27 showed significant benefits, providing new transit, better access to the community, jobs, and the rapidly growing area around it. It also showed significant benefits and was recommended to proceed to Preliminary Design.
Aware of earlier land use proposals and train operating considerations in the area, Metrolinx independently assessed a potential new GO station for the Highway 27-Woodbine area in 2014/15 as part of the screening for 50 potential locations for the GO Expansion program.
- A new station at this location would increase access to employment opportunities at a major Employment Area, while also enhancing transit access to Woodbine race track - a major sporting/entertainment destination.
- The Humber College North Campus, which currently has more than 19,000 full time students, is located a short 3.5km bus ride to the north along Highway 27.
- The Woodbine race track site has significant development potential in the long-term, which would further support a station at this location.
The new GO station at Woodbine will feature:
- Passenger waiting platforms with weather protection;
- A parking lot for GO commuter use;
- Passenger pick-up and drop off area; and
- A bus loop and passenger waiting areas for seamless transfers to GO and local transit services running north-south along Highway 27.