Ontario Adds New Express GO Trains on the Lakeshore East Line
Making Life Easier
TORONTO—Today, Transportation Minister Jeff Yurek announced new express GO Train service on the Lakeshore East line that will offer more choice for transit users and commuters travelling from Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax and Pickering starting tomorrow.
"Ontario's government is putting people first by investing in public transit to shorten commutes and get people moving faster, so that they can spend more time on what matters most to them," Yurek said.
The new express train service is in addition to improvements our government introduced including:
- 15-minute midday service between Oshawa GO Station and Union Station from Monday to Friday, representing a total of 27 new train trips and a doubling of midday, weekday service.
- The opening of new Park and Ride lots in Durham Region to make it easier for commuters and transit users in Oshawa and Courtice to connect with the GO Train at Oshawa GO.
- Allowing kids 12 and under to ride free on GO Transit.
"By offering more trips when customers need them most, we're making GO an even better fit for our customers' busy lives," said Phil Verster, President and CEO of Metrolinx. "We are growing services for our customers every few months and we are committed to continuously improving how we serve the communities that rely on us each and every day."
"When we build and invest in transportation, we're getting people to work, to home, to friend, and family faster - these are the things that matter - making life easier and making Ontarians more productive," said Yurek.
- A new weekday morning express GO Train leaving from Oshawa GO Station at 7:50 a.m., then serving Whitby, Ajax and Pickering GO stations before arriving at Union at 8:42 a.m. This train will have 12 cars.
- The return trip will leave Union Station at 4:50 p.m., running express to Pickering GO Station, then stopping at Ajax and Whitby GO stations before arriving at Oshawa GO Station at 5:43 p.m. This train will also have 12 coaches.