Celebrating Ontario's Fresh Food
McGuinty Government Supports Innovative Grocery Retailers
The outstanding and innovative efforts of 37 grocery retailers to promote Ontario's fresh food products are being recognized at this year's Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards.
Judges reviewed thousands of photographs of display categories submitted by 900 entries - a record number for the program.
The Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards has also introduced a new category that reflects the wider range of products promoted by the program. For the first time this year, the Pick Ontario Freshness award will go to:
- Sobeys, for the "Compliments" private label promoting fresh Ontario beef, pork, chicken, and poultry
- Highland Farms, for cross-department promotions of fresh Ontario food products
- Loblaw Companies Limited, for the promotion of Ontario Corn Fed Beef
- Longo's, for the promotion of fresh Ontario pork, lamb, and veal
- The Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards have recognized grocery retailers for 21 years.
- The Foodland program was expanded last year to include fresh Ontario foods (i.e. deli, dairy, meat and bakery products).
- Eighty-seven per cent of shoppers say they would prefer to buy Ontario-grown produce.
- Foodland Ontario brand consumer awareness is at an all time high - 94 per cent of principal grocery shoppers recognize the Foodland Ontario symbol.
“This year's award winners have done an outstanding job promoting fresh, local Ontario products. When consumers buy Ontario foods, they're helping our farmers, our economy and our environment.”