Eco-friend Arts Centre Coming to Hastings
McGuinty Government Invests in Community Project
Ontario is helping the Municipality of Centre Hastings develop an eco-friendly arts centre to help create jobs and promote tourism.
The province is providing $89,393 to support an arts facility that uses environmentally sound building techniques. The facility's purpose will go beyond the arts by also providing space for meetings, conferences and other public events.
The funding is part of the Rural Economic Development Program, which invests in community-based projects in three priority areas:
- Improved access to health care services
- Revitalized communities and downtowns
- Enhanced skills training.
- Since 2003, Ontario has invested $63 million in 192 projects through the Rural Economic Development Program
- The Municipality of Centre Hastings is home to Ontario's fourth-largest group of artists in a rural community.
“This innovative arts centre has the potential of becoming a major source of revenue for Madoc and will provide the community with the means to attract new businesses and increase tourism.”
“This project will provide our community with a meeting place where we can enjoy and showcase music, theatre, dance and literature. We will now have the opportunity to develop and foster new local talent here at home.”