Improving Historic Downtown Fergus
McGuinty Government Helps Attract Visitors, Boost Local Economy
Fergus is developing a community meeting place to draw visitors and tourists to the downtown core.
Through the Rural Economic Development Program, Ontario is helping Fergus to:
- create a central outdoor community and special events venue at the downtown gateway
- highlight the significance of Fergus' history through interpretative plaques
- draw visitors and residents to downtown Fergus
- increase revenues for downtown merchants with increased visitor traffic
- enhance the downtown streetscape with a revitalized downtown green space
- Centre Wellington, Heritage Centre Wellington and Fergus Business Improvement Area are receiving $16,335 through the Rural Economic Development Program.
- Since 2003, Ontario has invested over $86 million in 258 projects through the Rural Economic Development Program.
“This project will create a community green space at the gateway to historic downtown Fergus. Renewing interest in the downtown core will increase traffic and customers for local businesses.”
“We are thrilled to welcome the province as a partner in helping to develop BT Corner in Fergus' historical downtown area. With this support, we can pay tribute to the community's industrial and agricultural heritage.”