Innovative Ideas Thrive In Emo and Kakabeka Falls
McGuinty Government Recognizes Outstanding Individuals In Agri-Food Sector
Ontario's rural communities are growing innovative ideas that drive the local economy and advance Ontario's agri-food industry.
These ideas were celebrated today at a ceremony in Thunder Bay honouring regional winners of the Premier's Awards for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. Local recipients are:
- Mountain Fresh Farm, Kakabeka Falls (Thunder Bay District)
- Rainy River District Regional Abattoir Inc., Emo (Rainy River District)
These awards are part of a $2.5-million, five-year program established to recognize innovators who contribute to the success of Ontario's agri-food sector.
- Ontario's agri-food sector is one of the province's leading industries, contributing more than $33 billion to the economy every year.
- There are 55 regional award winners across the province - each receiving $5,000 for their innovations.
- The Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence program has attracted more than 700 applications highlighting on-farm innovations since 2007.
- See other award winning innovation success stories and discover the variety of past award-winning on-farm innovations at the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs website.
- Find out how other government programs support innovation in Ontario by visiting the Ministry of Research and Innovation website.
“I am pleased to recognize these local innovators with these awards. Their vision and hard work show us how integral our agri-food sector and our rural communities are to this province.”
“Today's award winners show how innovation continues to strengthen agriculture, which is such an important contributor to Thunder Bay and Northwestern Ontario.”