Eastern Ontario Broadband Network Backgrounder
- The broadband network will deliver high-speed, high-capacity Internet service to an estimated 95 per cent of the residents and businesses in Eastern Ontario.
- The construction of the network's fibre-backbone will occur in stages over the next two years. A schedule projecting when service is expected to be ready for Internet Service Providers in each county and municipality will be available at the Eastern Ontario Warden's Caucus (EOWC) website in the near future.
- Since unveiling the project in mid-summer 2009, EOWC has undertaken: engineering plans, regional gap studies, public presentations, and tendered the construction of the project.
- Bell Aliant and Bell have been chosen by EOWC to build the fibre-backbone of the broadband network project. Local Internet Service Providers will connect to the backbone infrastructure to bring high-speed Internet service to customers.
- Barrett Xplore Inc. has been chosen by EOWC as the preferred proponent to provide satellite services for remote and terrain challenging locations where no other technology options are feasible.
- Through the Building Canada Fund - Major Infrastructure Component, the governments of Canada and Ontario are jointly providing two-thirds of the total eligible costs of the project, to a maximum combined contribution of $110 million or $55 million each. EOWC Inc. will contribute up to $10 million to the project.
- Bell Aliant and Bell, who have been contracted by EOWC to build the physical infrastructure, will contribute $27 million as well as in-kind services. Barrett Xplore Inc. is also contributing in-kind services.
- The total cost of this project, including future investment by local Internet Service Providers, is estimated to be $170 million.
- The service area for this broadband network project includes the counties of Hastings, Peterborough, Renfrew, Northumberland, Haliburton, Frontenac, Lanark, Prince Edward, Lennox & Addington, the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry, the United Counties of Prescott & Russell and the United Counties of Leeds & Grenville as well as the City of Kawartha Lakes.