Harvesting More Ideas For Agri-Food Innovation
McGuinty Government Invites New Applications For Innovation Awards
Innovators in the province's agriculture and food industry are encouraged to apply for a Premier's Agri-Food Innovation Excellence Award.
Applications will be accepted until November 15, 2010. The awards program includes the Premier's Award, the Minister's Award and up to 55 regional awards.
Program applications will be reviewed by two independent panels made up of representatives from across Ontario's agri-food industry. Recognizing excellence in innovation is part of the Open Ontario plan to create jobs and strengthen the agri-food economy.
- Ontario's agri-food sector is one of the province's leading industries, contributing more than $33 billion to the economy every year.
- The program recognizes 55 regional award winners across the province &mdash each receiving $5,000 for their innovations.
- The Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence program has attracted more than 700 applications highlighting on-farm innovations since 2007.
- Download your guidebook and application for the Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation.
- See other award winning innovation success stories and discover the variety of past award-winning on-farm innovations at the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs website.
- Find out how other government programs support innovation in Ontario by visiting the Ministry of Research and Innovation website.
“We want to recognize the farmers and their families whose innovative ideas are opening up new opportunities, new jobs and fostering economic growth in our agri-food sector. Our government is eager to continue our partnership to get even more fresh, local food on Ontarians' plates.”
“Ontario's farmers are great innovators. Not only do their cutting-edge ideas encourage us to buy the good things that grow in Ontario, they generate new market opportunities, and help strengthen our rural communities. This program helps to recognize, promote, and celebrate the innovative talent we have growing in our agri-food communities.”