Showcasing Ontario Foods
McGuinty Government Recognizes Innovative Grocery Retailers
Sixty-two grocery retailers were recognized this year with Foodland Ontario Retailer Awards for their creative and innovative efforts to promote Ontario fruit and vegetables.
The Foodland Ontario Award of Excellence, goes to three stores:
- Metro #255, Carleton Avenue, Ottawa
- Stewart's Town & Country Market, Highway 9, Mildmay
- Real Canadian Superstore, Walker Road, Windsor.
Stores submit photographs of their promotional displays to qualify for the awards. This year, judges reviewed over 2,500 photographs submitted by more than 1,000 entrants.
Recognizing excellence in the promotion of local produce helps to support a strong agri-food industry and is part of the Open Ontario plan to create jobs and build the economy.
- Consumer awareness of the Foodland Ontario brand is at an all time high - 96 per cent of principal grocery shoppers recognize the Foodland Ontario symbol.
- According to a recent Environics study, 80 per cent of Ontarians polled said that ensuring a local food source is very important to them.
- Ontario farmers produce more than 200 commodities, many of which are also processed in the province.
- Discover more about the good things that grow in Ontario and how to incorporate them into delicious recipes.
- To find out what's in season, look for Foodland Ontario's popular Availability Guide or ask the produce or store manager at your local grocery store.
- Sign up for Foodland Ontario's e-newsletter: Fresh Connection.
“All of our award winners have shown their outstanding commitment to promoting Ontario grown fruits and vegetables. People know that when they buy Ontario, they're bringing home fresh, great tasting, quality food for their families.”