Niagara Winery To Expand
McGuinty Government Supports Agri-Food Industry, Creates Good Jobs
A local winery in the Niagara region, Ontario's viticultural heartland, is expanding its wine production, creating 38 new jobs and offering local farmers a new source of revenue.
With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, Diamond Estates Wines & Spirits will increase production at its Niagara-on-the-Lake winery with new and efficient processing equipment and a state-of-the-art sparkling wine production and processing line. These innovations will help the company expand into new markets and:
- reduce processing waste
- source more Ontario grapes from local farmers
- generate $9 million in new revenue
- create 38 new jobs and retain 142 existing jobs
A strong agri-food industry is part of the McGuinty government's Open Ontario Plan to create jobs and opportunities that will boost the province's economy.
- Ontario is investing $700,000 in this project through the Rural Economic Development Program.
- Ontario's food processing industry was the third-largest employer of its kind in North America in 2008. The industry generated more than $33 billion in revenue from goods manufactured in Ontario in 2009.
- Ontario has invested over $153 million in 373 projects through the Rural Economic Development Program and generated more than $1.1 billion in new economic activity.
- So far, Ontario has recovered 114.4 per cent of the jobs lost in the recession.
“This investment will build support for a successful Ontario grape and wine sector for generations to come. Through its modernization and expansion, Diamond Estates Wines & Spirits Ltd. is meeting the growing demand for high-quality, locally produced Ontario wines that not only taste great, but support our local farmers, and create jobs.”
“This investment is in keeping with the necessity that Ontario grown grapes are bottled and not dumped on the ground. This facility is Canada's largest and most modern production VQA winery. Our government's support for this project is creating new jobs in the Niagara greenbelt and growing the market for local farmers. It's also strengthening our local economy and creating new short, medium and long-term opportunities for families here in Niagara-on-the-Lake.”
“The Government of Ontario's support for this project is helping us increase efficiencies, expand into new markets, and boost processing capacity for Ontario table and sparkling wines. As a result, we're creating new jobs for area families, buying more quality grapes from local farmers, and stimulating economic activity here in the Niagara region.”