Ontario's Low-Sugar Maple Syrup A World First
McGuinty Government Supports Local Food Processor, Creates Jobs
Natunola Health Inc., a Winchester food processor, is partnering with Maple Ridge Farms to produce a new line of low-sugar maple syrup products, creating good jobs and strengthening the local economy.
With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, Natunola will install a new production line to make the world's first low-sugar maple syrup. This investment will help the organization to:
- process 50,000 litres of low-calorie Ontario maple syrup within five years
- export its product to the United States, Europe and Japan
- create five new jobs, and keep 13 existing jobs
A strong agri-food industry is part of the McGuinty government's plan to create jobs and opportunities that will boost the province's economy.
- Ontario is investing $312,250 in this expansion project through the Rural Economic Development Program.
- Ontario's food processing industry was the third-largest employer of its kind in North America in 2008. The industry generated more than $33 billion in revenue from goods manufactured in Ontario in 2009.
- Ontario has invested over $154 million in 383 projects through the Rural Economic Development Program and generated more than $1.1 billion in new economic activity.
- In April, Ontario had an increase of 56,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.9 per cent.
“By investing in local food processors like Natunola and Maple Ridge Farms, we're strengthening our agri-food sector and growing our economy. Ontario's support for this project will help increase demand for local food, give our farmers new opportunities, and create good jobs our rural families can depend on.”
“This expansion project will create new opportunities for our community and strengthen the local economy. Investments through the Rural Economic Development Program are another way our government is providing families and businesses with the tools they need to grow and prosper.”
“We are thrilled to be moving forward on this venture with Maple Ridge Farms, which will provide new and healthy maple product choices for people around the world. We are grateful to the Government of Ontario for their support, which will allow us to expand and improve our business.”
Dr. N.F. Han
“Thanks to the support of the Rural Economic Development Program and Natunola Health, we are able to reach new markets with our unique offering of all-natural Ontario maple products, which our family is proud to have been producing for more than 150 years.”