Strengthening Businesses In Wellington North
McGuinty Government Supporting Local Economic Development
The Township of Wellington North is teaming up with community leaders to enhance local business, create new jobs, and strengthen the local economy.
With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, Wellington North will identify key barriers to economic growth and develop a plan to stimulate and guide economic development in its downtown core.
This plan will include strategies that will help the community to:
- preserve and restore historic buildings through the use of green technologies
- create affordable downtown housing
- increase tourism and shopping opportunities
- expand the market for local businesses
- create new local jobs.
These efforts will strengthen the existing business community and create an economic climate that attracts new businesses and workers to downtown Wellington North.
Strong rural communities are part of the Open Ontario plan to create jobs and opportunities that will boost the province's economy.
- Ontario is providing $15,000 to the Township of Wellington North for this project.
- Ontario has invested over $153 million in 373 projects through the Rural Economic Development Program and generated more than $1.1 billion in new economic activity.
- Ontario has regained all jobs lost since the recession - with an increase of 56,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declining to 7.9% in April 2011.
“Strong rural communities are vital to our province's economy. By investing in community partnerships, we're helping to support local businesses, strengthen our economy, keep jobs and create new jobs in rural communities, and build a prosperous future for our families.”
“By investing in this strategic partnership, we're supporting a plan that will grow the local economy and attract skilled workers to the area. Together, we are building the foundation for a brighter future here in Wellington North.”
“We are glad to be working with the province to grow and strengthen our economy and revitalize our downtown community. This project will help us map out and overcome barriers here in Wellington North and will lay the groundwork for long-term success.”