Innovative Ideas Thrive In Rural Ontario
McGuinty Government Recognizes Excellence, Supports Family Farms
Ontario's local farmers are growing innovative ideas that drive our local economies and strengthen our agri-food industry.
These ideas were celebrated today at a ceremony in Lindsay honouring local winners of the Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence. On-farm innovations are helping Ontario farmers provide more of the healthy food that is grown, processed, and sold across the province. Today's regional winners are:
- Lenberg Farms (Oakwood, City of Kawartha Lakes)
- Kawartha Choice FarmFresh/Greater Peterborough Area Economic Development Corporation (Peterborough, Peterborough County)
- Taste the County (Bloomfield, Prince Edward County)
- Garden Gate Farms (Barrie, Simcoe County)
- Holland Marsh Growers' Association (Newmarket, York Region)
- Shandiz Natural Foods (Markham, York Region)
When our family farms thrive, Ontarians taste it at the dinner table. A strong agri-food industry is part of the McGuinty government's plan to create jobs and opportunities that will boost the province's economy.
- Since 2007, the Premier's Award for Agri-Food Innovation Excellence program has attracted more than 900 applications highlighting on-farm innovations.
- This year, local events will recognize 55 regional award winners across the province.
- Since 2003, $2 billion in farm income stabilization programs have helped farmers deal with bad weather, volatile prices and rising costs.
- In Ontario's 2011 Budget - Turning the Corner, the province committed to providing risk management programs to support farmers when prices fluctuate due to unpredictable factors such as weather and global market changes.
- Ontario's agri-food sector is one of the province's leading industries, contributing more than $33 billion annually to the economy.
“I congratulate these local innovators on their achievements. Their innovative spirit and hard work show us how integral our agricultural and rural communities are to this province's success.”