Local Dairy To Expand In Perth County - 2011
McGuinty Government Supports Agri-Food Industry, Creates Jobs
A cheese producer in St. Mary's is expanding its facilities to create jobs, build new market opportunities and support local farmers.
With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, Shepherd Gourmet Dairy, North America's largest producer of sheep's milk cheeses and yogurt, will:
- create more than 40 new jobs
- source sheep milk from 75 Ontario farms
- triple the size of its production facility
- install new equipment to enhance products and packaging
A strong agri-food industry is part of the McGuinty government's plan to create jobs and opportunities that will grow the province's economy.
- Ontario is investing $1.3 million in Shepherd Gourmet Dairy through the Rural Economic Development Program.
- Ontario's food processing industry is the province's second largest manufacturer and was the third largest employer of its kind in North America in 2008. In 2009, the industry generated more than $33 billion in revenue for Ontario.
- Over the last couple of months, Ontario had an increase of 38,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.9 per cent.
“The McGuinty government is proud to support innovative food processors like Shepherd Dairy, which help put Ontario on the map as a leading manufacturer of high-quality food. This project will not only strengthen our agri-food industry, it will create jobs, and support Ontario farmers.”
“Expanding production at Shepherd Dairy will help support an entire region of farmers while creating jobs and encouraging people to buy local. This is another example of our government's commitment to strengthen and grow our rural communities at work.”
“With the support of Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program we will increase our production and develop new premium products for customers at home and abroad. This expansion helps Shepherd Gourmet Dairy remain at the top of the market, so that farmers and businesses throughout Perth County can remain strong.”