Creating A New Market For Ontario Cheese
McGuinty Government Supports Agri-Food Industry, Creates Jobs
Ontario is helping a local food processor in Vaughan expand its production to make and sell Ontario's first buffalo mozzarella and create 15 jobs.
With support from Ontario's Rural Economic Development Program, Quality Cheese Inc., in partnership with the Ontario Water Buffalo Company, will:
- Replace imports with local products
- Purchase artisan cheese-making equipment
- Acquire specialized water buffalo milking technology
- Increase the size of Ontario water buffalo herds
- Increase sales, quantity and quality of Ontario water buffalo mozzarella.
A strong agri-food industry is part of the McGuinty government's plan to create jobs and opportunities that will grow the province's economy.
- Ontario's food processing industry is the province's second largest manufacturer and was the third largest employer of its kind in North America in 2008. In 2009, the industry generated more than $33 billion in revenue for Ontario.
- In June, Ontario had an increase of more than 40,000 jobs and the unemployment rate declined to 7.7 percent
“We're proud to be investing in local food processors like Quality Cheese Inc., which continue to keep Ontario on the map as a leading producer of fresh, local foods we all enjoy. By giving our farmers and food processors the tools they need to succeed and grow, we're strengthening our agri-food industry and growing our economy.”
“This partnership will create new opportunities for Quality Cheese, and help support a region of farmers while creating jobs and encouraging people to buy local. This is another example of our government's commitment to strengthen and grow our communities.”
“The RED program will give Quality Cheese and the Ontario Buffalo Company the opportunity to develop Water Buffalo Mozzarella and other water buffalo dairy products for the Ontario and Canadian market. This program will help secure strong market growth for a new industry in Ontario and Canada.”
“Funding from the RED program will help Ontario Water Buffalo Company supply a sufficient amount of milk for the growing demand of water buffalo mozzarella by purchasing a milking system designed specifically for milking water buffalo, as well as genetics that wil improve the quality and volume of water buffalo milk production. These investments will support water buffalo herd growth and the economic growth of rural Ontario by increasing demand for local products and creating employment in production and food processing sectors.”
Martin Littkeman and Lori Smith