Province Launches Five-Year Plan for Horse Racing Industry
Ontario Government Committed to Sustainable Future for Horse Racing
Ontario has released a five-year plan for a sustainable horse racing industry in the province based on the final Horse Racing Industry Transition Panel report.
The plan will strengthen the industry and support future growth by:
- Providing up to $400 million over five years to sustain a wide range of racing opportunities that are supported by strong business plans
- Integrating horse racing with Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) modernization plan, which includes researching potential horse-themed lottery products and leveraging the corporation's business, marketing and responsible gambling expertise within the horse racing industry
- Restructuring the Ontario Racing Commission (ORC) into two divisions -- one that will continue its existing regulatory functions and a separate division that will distribute funding and work with the OLG on industry development to grow the racing fan base.
Strengthening and supporting the province's horse racing industry is part of the Ontario government's three-part economic plan to invest in people, invest in infrastructure and support a dynamic and innovative business climate.
- Subject to Cabinet approval and review by the Standing Committee on Government Agencies, Horse Racing Industry Transition Panel member Elmer Buchanan will assume the role of chair of the ORC to lead the implementation of the five-year plan. Mr. Buchanan will replace retiring ORC chair Rod Seiling.
- The $400 million in funding will support world class racing through a wide range of activities and programs, including branding and marketing, responsible gambling, the Horse Improvement Program, animal welfare and business planning.
- Funding will be tied to accountability and transparency measures and will provide a positive return on the investment of public funds. Racetracks will need to provide business cases to receive funding.
- The Final Report of the Horse Racing Industry Transition Panel - Building a Sustainable Future Together: Ontario’s Five Year Horse Racing Partnership.
- Find an Ontario race track near you.
“We know how important the horse racing industry is to communities all across Ontario. That’s why our government has worked with industry and community representatives to develop a five-year plan that will build on the great traditions of horse racing in this province and attract a new generation of fans to the sport.”
“Integrating horse racing with OLG’s modernization will help create a more sustainable industry going forward. OLG’s experience in business, marketing and responsible gaming will provide additional benefits to the racing industry.”
“The horse racing industry is vital to rural communities across Ontario. By investing and supporting this five-year plan, our government is protecting rural jobs and helping to build a strong, sustainable industry.”