Revitalizing Infrastructure In Northeastern Ontario
Ontario Providing Sustainable Infrastructure Investment
Ontario is supporting the modernization of critical infrastructure, like roads and bridges, by providing Northeastern Ontario with stable, annual funding.
Through the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund, 426 municipalities across the province will receive annual funding to support improvements and repairs to road, bridge, water and wastewater projects. The improvements to local infrastructure will help revitalize the community while creating jobs and strengthening the local economy.
For a list of each municipality's funding allocation, please click here.
Improving local infrastructure supports the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- The Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund provides $100 million annually to support critical infrastructure in 426 small, rural and northern municipalities.
- Half of the funding is allocated annually using a fair and transparent formula, which recognizes that municipalities have different infrastructure and fiscal needs. The remaining $50 million is available through an application-based process, allowing municipalities to continue partnering with the province to invest in critical infrastructure projects that will create jobs and support growth.
- Since 2003, Ontario has invested nearly $100 billion in public infrastructure. These investments have helped municipalities repair and upgrade roads and bridges, revitalize community infrastructure and modernize and expand transit systems.
- Ontario plans to invest more than $130 billion in public infrastructure over the next 10 years. This will support more than 110,000 jobs on average each year in construction and related industries.
- Find out more about Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund
- Read Building Together: Ontario’s long-term infrastructure plan
“This program will provide ongoing critical support to communities in Northern Ontario for infrastructure improvements and reflects the priority our government has placed on building a strong Ontario. Continued investment in Northern Ontario’s infrastructure will improve safety, spur economic development and improve the quality of life for residents, industry and visitors.”
“Our government is fulfilling a commitment to provide a permanent infrastructure program that will continue to build up small, rural and northern communities. We listened to our municipal partners, who know what’s best for their communities. This is why providing predictable, sustainable, annual funding is a key component of the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund.”
“Making important infrastructure investments create jobs, builds our economy, and supports communities across Ontario. These communities now have access to reliable, predictable provincial funding to help them achieve their goals.”
“I am pleased to see the Ontario Government continuing to support the Ontario Community Infrastructure Fund to provide stable, annual funding to address local priorities. This will ensure municipalities across Ontario receive predictable support for critical infrastructure projects that support healthy, prosperous communities.”