Growing Innovative Local Food Projects in Eastern Ontario
Ontario Supports Nine Local Food Ideas
The province is helping eastern Ontario agri-food businesses increase awareness and demand for local food.
Nine recipients in the region have received funding from Ontario's Local Food Fund to support innovative local food projects that increase demand and sales of Ontario food, stimulate new investment and strengthen Ontario's agri-food sector, while also celebrating local food.
Regional recipients include:
- Abbey Gardens Community Trust, Haliburton
- Beau's All Natural Brewing Co., Vankleek Hill
- Cassel Brewery Company Ltd., Casselman
- Chefx, Ottawa
- Eastern Ontario Agri-Food Network, L'Orignal
- Lanthier Bakery Ltd., Alexandria
- Mariposa Dairy Ltd., Lindsay
- Ontario Berry Growers Association, Kemptville
- Wendy's Mobile Market, Lyndhurst
Supporting local food innovations is part of the government's economic plan for Ontario. The four part plan is building Ontario up by investing in people's talents and skills, building new public infrastructure like roads and transit, creating a dynamic, supportive environment where business thrives, and building a secure savings plan so everyone can afford to retire.
- The Local Food Fund is part of the government’s broader local food strategy to promote the good things that are grown, harvested and made across the province.
- Ontario’s agri-food sector contributes over $34 billion to the province’s economy and supports more than 760,000 jobs.
- Since 2003, the province has invested approximately $140 million to help support sales of Ontario foods.
- In 2013, Ontario’s total agri-food exports exceeded $11 billion - a more than 9 per cent increase from 2012.
“Today’s Local Food Fund recipients are pivotal to the success of our province’s agri-food industry. When we invest in local food projects we not only support innovation and grow our economy, we strengthen the connection between farmers and consumers.”